Saturday, August 8, 2009

A Wonderful Ferry Ride to Holland

Monday, my last day in England, was spent packing and making sure all the souvenirs I bought from all over England were collected and also packed. We went to the store to pick up some last minute items, specifically Krispy Kream doughnuts for the family in Holland. After creatively packing the doughnuts it was time to head to Harwich to get on the ferry to Holland.

Once we arrived to the port I was very nervous as I've never been on a boat, let alone a huge ferry all by myself before. All I could see were industrial ships in the port, I kept thinking, 'What kind of boat am I going to be on!!!?!!' Once John walked around and got some information from the people inside, We knew I was in the right place. We walked in and it looked just like a terminal at any airport. We sat down at about 8:30pm, and they would start boarding people on the ship at 9pm. After 3 sad goodbyes, I was alone. Shortly after my favorite people left, it was time to get on the ship.

I walked through the big double doors and walked up to the check-in desk where they checked my passport and gave me my room key. I then proceeded to the ship. I had to walk through a tunnel, the same as getting on an airplane, to get on the ship. Here I am with my 2 huge suitcases, my backpack, and a huge purse, walking up the tinniest slope; I was struggling with all my might to get up it. However, I finally did and once I stepped foot on the ship, I knew I was on the road to success.

A man standing at the entrance pointed me in the direction of the elevator and told me to go up 1 floor. I pushed my huge bags in the tiny lift and went up. Once the doors opened, I had another struggling task of trying to turn my bags around to get out of this thing. I went to an information desk and asked them which way to my room. The woman told me it was the first on the left. First on the left!!!! FIRST!! Thank God!!! Just as I thought I would be able to find my room right away, I was wrong. Surprise, surprise! I must have walked up and down the entire ship before I found my room. Once I did stumble upon it, I stood in front of the door saying 'Wow, how did I ever find that? Is this really it?' It was.

I walked in to find 2 beds, a little couch, a vanity and the bathroom. I was under the impression the bathroom would only have a toilet and a sink, which I was okay with, I was just happy I had my own room. I threw my bags down and took a break from the huge workout I just did. I went into the bathroom, only to find a SHOWER! I was so excited, before I did anything else I took that much needed shower! I was even able to wash my hair. However, I did not have a converter that would fit in the outlet to blow dry my hair. So 2 hours later of letting it air dry, I was able to straighten it with my European flat iron I bought last year in Holland.




The ship took off at 11:55pm and we were on our way. Even though I was already sick from the day before, I did not get seasick. I fell asleep around midnight, and slept comfortably until the wake up call at 6:45am. An hour later we were able to disembark. After getting a little lost and having a few more elevator issues, I was off the ship and officially in Holland.

I stood in a short line for customs and could see Ringo and Sandra in the distance waiting for me. After the passport check I went to my family relieved to be done with traveling again. An hour later we arrived at the house ready to relax.

And relax is what we'll do. Holland I am here, at last!

1 comment:

  1. This looks so cool! If I ever make it over there, I want to take the ferry! I'm so glad it worked out. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete