Wednesday, August 5, 2009

With Saturday and Sunday comes Oxford and Warwick

When we woke up Saturday morning, after a very needed nights sleep, we made our way to Oxford. The drive there was about 30 minutes from our hotel and was much smoother and had a lot less traffic issues then the day before. We arrived at the Park and Ride that took us into the heart of Oxford. When we stepped off the bus we were struck with cold, strong rain. We quickly made our way to an indoor market. We walked through and out pretty quickly, a little unimpressed.

The main souvenir I wanted from here, like Cambridge, was an University of Oxford sweater. After walking all around in the rain we finally found a reasonably priced shop to buy shirts and sweaters. I almost went a little overboard with buying too many University of Oxford clothing items. I realized my obsession with this university is a little scary. However, I refrained and only bought a few items.

After our little shopping spree we hopped on a City Bus Tour bus and road around for about an hour. I do have to say, I felt very at home in this town. I can definitely see myself living in Oxford over Cambridge. As such, I would much rather go to University of Oxford than Cambridge, but that is just because of my own obsession with Oxford. The town is very quaint and peaceful. Filled with trees and beautiful, acient buildings. It just so happened that we were there on a day that many students were gratuating from one of the 38 colleges of the University of Oxford. We saw a few students walking around town with family taking pictures in their gowns, which made me very excited. I'm sure the students thought I was nuts as I excitedly yelled and pointed at them. But for me, it was something I may never see again, unless that is, one day I would be lucky enough to wear one myself.

Once we got off the bus tour there was a huge downpour of rain, so we ran for cover into Starbucks and sat to have a cup of coffee. After which we decided to call it a day and make our way to stay at our second hotel about another 30 minutes away.

The next day, on Sunday, we woke early to head on over to Warwick to see the Warwick Castle. After driving around for 15 minutes trying to find a parking spot in the very crowed car park, we stumbled upon an open spot and squeezed our way into it. We walked over to the castle and paid our 20 Pounds to get in.

We first went through the Victorian Rose Garden which was very pretty and relaxing. However, I expected there to be more flowers, as it was a "rose garden" but maybe it's just not their season. After the quick walk through the garden we made our way to the castle. We went though one section of the castle and were able to see many of the rooms and how they were set up when the castle was in use. Fully equipped with wax manikins it felt like we were actually there in the 17th century, minus all the gawking, slow walking tourists that is.


After the tour inside we made our way outside and walked up a hill that at the top had the oldest part of the castle, build in 1068. It gave us a beautiful view high up above the castle and over the surrounding river and farm land.

After that gentle hike, we noticed on the other side of the castle court yard there were some towers that you could go to the top of. What originally seemed like a good idea, soon lost its fun appeal. We read a sign before we began that stated there were 530 steep steps and that it was only a one-way path. Basically, if you can't handle it, don't do it because there's no turning back. Well here we are, one 7 month pregnant woman, a 2 year old little girl, and me, the most out of shape cow walking the planet, we said "yeah! Let's do it!" This was by far the worst decision made the whole weekend. Rachelle carried her prego belly and I carried her 2 year old daughter, up and down 530 of the steepest, spiralliest, most vertical set of stairs built by man. First up, then come back down, then walk across, then go back up another tower that looks exactly the same as the other one, then come back down, then run into 500 other out of shape morons who made the same idiot mistake you did. Don't forget, you can't turn back! Then back up to some other watch tower then come back down thinking you're done and going all the way down, but all hope for that is lost when you find more steps going back up. What person in his right mind would build something like this? I don't think a dungeon in this castle is even necessary, making a person do this hike is torture in and of itself! Finally, we completed the maze and quickly decided it was time for food and drink.

We ordered baked potatoes with baked beans and cheese, a typical British meal and sat in the court yard park to eat it. In the center there was a cheesy show being put on for the kids. In my opinion, it really took away from the beauty and historical aspect of the castle. I mean think about it, here we are sitting in the court yard of this gorgeous, historical castle and there are people prancing around in tights and plastic swords like they do at the Renaissance Festival. But hey, if it will keep your kid entertained, I guess I'm okay with it.

We ended the day in a garden that about 50 peacocks have invaded. One peacock had all his feathers completely out for everyone to see. Every now and then he would shake them and make this weird hissing sound. Maybe it was a mating call, maybe it was a threating 'leave me the 'F' alone call'. I took it as the latter, and quickly made my way elsewhere. The peacock garden was beautiful and fairly relaxing, especially after the huge hike we just completed.

After this we headed back to the car and made our way back to home sweet home. However, when we arrived I suddenly felt very ill and realized I only took 2 tiny sips of H2O for the day, which wasn't wise considering all the stairs that beat me. I ended up getting very sick Sunday night and all day Monday, spending most of my time next to the toilet. It isn't until now, on Wednesday, that I am actually able to eat real food without getting sick. If you ever make your way to Warwick Castle, please whatever you do, do not choose to hike the 530 steep stairs, no matter how fun it may seem.

All in all, my time in England was absolutely fantastic, even though I did get sick, it was all worth it to me. I will miss it there tremendously, and the wonderful family that let me invade their home for a week and a half. England is a beautiful, green, farm country. Hidden in all the green are the most amazing ancient towns that most people have only dreamt about. As for myself, I was lucky enough to have been thrust into its beauty, and will never forget any of it.

But now, it's onto The Netherlands!

4 comments:

  1. Megan, I can't believe all the sights you saw. It all looks fantastic. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, maybe I'm crazy but I thought the insane amount of stairs was worth it when we got to the top =) That view was incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL it was worth it Rachelle, however, because I'm an out of shape cow, I'm pretty sure that is what made me puke. But in the end, it was definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story and pics. I love your sense of humor. You are indeed lucky to have such a wonderful family to host you while you were in England. Looking forward to hearing about the ferry ride across the channel and your visit in Holland. Love...Dad

    ReplyDelete