Wednesday, July 29, 2009

All of London... In One Day!

Early Tuesday morning I was woken up to being a long, exciting day of London. We wanted to get an early start so we could see as much as possible in just one day.

We drove into Epping to park and take the tube (subway) into London. An all day pass is 7.50 Pounds, which was well worth the money. As we sat on the first stop on the tube it was fairly empty and relaxing. We took off and made about 15 other stops until we finally arrived at ours which brought us into the heart of London. Each stop on the tube we made, it got fuller and less relaxing. However, once we arrived, the fun began.

We stopped at a little bakery and got some sandwiches and made our way to Trafalgar Square. Once we arrived, there were waterfalls, extremely tall monuments and in the distance we could see Big Ben. After lunch on the stairs, we walked in the center and let the nearly 2 year old of the group run around and chase the birds. Once we finished taking typical touristy pictures, we proceeded to Parliament to see Big Ben.

Crowds of people pushed and cut you off as you casually walked on the sidewalk. You soon realized, you couldn't be so casual and relaxed. I found myself constantly looking at the street ground before we crossed to find out which way to look for on coming cars. Before every crosswalk it is written on the street 'Look Left' or 'Look Right'. I would have been lost without those signs.

We walked all around London and hit up all the major sites such as Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, The Tower of London, the Tower Bridge, and of course Buckingham Palace. Learning all about the type of people British folks really are as we jumped from location to location.

I learned one very important thing when I stood in line to buy a cup of coffee. Please make sure you stand literally on top of the person in front of you so that the people behind you know that you are really the next one in line. However, even invading other peoples bubbles still isn't enough of a sign to show that you are the next one in line. A woman came and slid right in front of me to order her drink, just like we used to do in middle school. However, I refrained from opening my mouth and getting angry. Instead I let her order and waited even longer. I got my coffee and all was well again. This "cutting in line" is something fairly typical in England. Unless you are pushy and step forward, people will step forward for you.

At the end of the day we ate at a pizza place called Pizza Express. The service was slow, but this again is a typical custom, I believe, in most European countries. They were in no rush to get us out of there. The pizza is thin and very large, thin enough that a whole pizza is for only one person. I would have to say this was one of the best pizza's I've had. To pay with your visa they bring a portable card swiper to your table, give you the copy to write the tip in, and stand there waiting for you to add the tip. I guess I'm okay with that, as they give you the final, total receipt so you know they took the correct amount off your card.

All in all it took us about 8 hours to see all the sites. Although we didn't actually enter any of the buildings (by choice), which would have made the day much longer, it was amazing to see the outside of just about everything there is to see in London. It is one of the busiest cities I've ever been too. Business men and women speed walking past all the tourists in full 3 piece suites and the women in heals. It's just another day for them. But for myself and all the other tourists, it was a day full of memories I will never forget.

6 comments:

  1. How exciting! I really enjoyed reading about your adventures and looking at the pictures. I remember some of those sights from when I was there years ago. Riding the ‘tube’ sounds like an adventure in and of itself. Isn’t interesting to see how the locals live in other countries? I’ve found it to be really cool. What looks so different for us is just a ‘business as usual’ day for them. I’m glad you are having such a great time and that your hosts have had the opportunity to show you around. Keep posting so I can keep up-to-date what is going on while you are on this fantastic vacation. Love…...Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it sounds like you had quite the day! Thanks for posting your adventures and I cannot wait to hear more. I love you and miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, Your day in London sounds fantastic. You look so cute in your pictures....I love your shirt! I am so impressed that Hailey is being such a good girl. You are so lucky to be seeing Great Britain. Looking forward to more adventures! Love you......Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nutmeg,

    I must say I look forward to reading about your daily adventures. As an English instructor by night lol I must say that I am impressed at the fact that you are journaling your trip. Continue to enjoy yourself. You are missed in the office but we know that you are having an experience of a lifetime. You must promise to take me with you next time:) Much love Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Meg, You are now the Family Traveler.... I can't tell you how impressed i am of not only your drive to get out an see the world but how you keep it documented on your blog.
    I hope you have the best time and look forward to your next posting... Scott

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Megan, what a trip so far! E2020 is not the same with out you, but heck, I am sure that it is the farthest thing from your mind right now!

    Enjoy

    The IT guy!

    ReplyDelete